The Past and Present
- Adolphus Lecaille, Pro-Vicar Apostolic Feb-Nov 1877, did not take possession.
- Tarquino Tanganelli PIME, Pro-Vicar Apostolic May-Aug 1878
- John Cani, Pro-Vicar Apostolic May 1879-1882, translated as first Bishop of Rockhampton.
- Paul Fortini, Pro-Vicar Apostolic 1882-1884, recalled to Rome.
- John Hutchinson OSA, Pro-Vicar Apostolic 1884-1887. Vicar Apostolic of Cooktown 1887-1897
- James Murray OSA, Vicar Apostolic 1898-1914
- John Heavey OSA, Vicar Apostolic 1914-1941, Bishop of Cairns 1941-1948
- Thomas Vincent Cahill, Bishop of Cairns 1949-1967 translated to Canberra-Goulburn
- John Ahern Torpie, Bishop of Cairns 1967-1986
- John Alexius Bathersby, Bishop of Cairns 1986-1991 translated as Archbishop of Brisbane
- James Foley DD DPh (Leuven), Bishop of Cairns 1992 to present, one of Australia’s longest serving bishops
More About Our Bishop