Sadly, it was destroyed in the 1927 cyclone, but was rebuilt in 1928. This building is now home to Catholic Services.
St Monica’s was not the first church in the diocese, nor – at the time - was it a Cathedral. In 1886 other churches had already been established at Cooktown, Herberton, Port Douglas, Normanton and Croydon.
In 1941, Cairns became a diocese, and the most recent incarnation of St Monica’s Cathedral was blessed and opened in July 1968. It can be found at 181 Abbott Street, Cairns.
In 1940, anticipating that Cairns would soon become a diocese and with the War coming close to the northern coastline, Fr Thomas Hunt, suggested to Bishop John Heavy, that “The Throne” be brought down to Cairns.
When St Monica’s became a cathedral in 1941, this historic throne was already installed. The chair was transferred to its present position in St Monica’s Cathedral in 1968 and is one of our treasures of the past.
It was rebuilt at the rear of Bishop’s House, then later relocated, at ground level, between the house and cathedral. It was finally moved to its present position in the bell tower on the southern side at the front of the cathedral.
The bell rings “The Angelus” prayer each weekday at 9am, 12midday and 6pm
They were put to rest here in 1969 as this is a War Memorial Cathedral.