The bishops, priests and deacons serve the people of 23 parishes and parish clusters, including 27 schools and colleges within 3 deaneries.
We would like to acknowledge these traditional custodians upon whose land our Catholic parishes, schools and agencies are built, and pay respect to the Elders, past, present and future for they hold the memories, traditions, culture and hopes of Australia’s Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander people.
We exist to spread the joy of the gospel, celebrate our faith and support our community across Far North Queensland.
The Arms are those of William Wellington Cairns (the namesake of our city), and onto which a white horizontal band. or "fess“, charged with a blue Maltese cross has been added. This acknowledges our association with the State of Queensland whose badge is the Maltese cross on a white field.
The Arms appear on the dexter side (the bearer’s right) of the shield of all the Bishops from 1949 to the present day. This follows the process of "impalement" where the personal Arms of the Incumbent are joined with the Arms of the Diocese signifying his role as a spiritual head of the Diocese.
Impalement means that the Arms are joined side by side rather than one above the other.
The origin of “Good Counsel” is attributed to the last recorded words of Mary in the Gospels when she addressed the servants at the marriage feast of Cana and told them “Do whatever He tells you.”
The Augustinian devotion to Mary under this title is centred upon a shrine at Genazzano in Italy. Central to the devotion is a fresco which appeared mysteriously on the wall of an unfinished church in 1467. The painter of the fresco is unknown. The feast day of Mary Mother of Good Counsel is 26th April.